Sunday 16 May 2010

Possible Common Nightingale, Sydvestpynten

I managed to get up early today and cycled down to Sydvestpynten to see whether the misty weather with easterly winds had caused an arrival of birds. A few Spotted Flycatchers, Garden Warblers and my first Icterine Warbler of the year was a good start. And then I heard a Nightingale sp singing. I immediately thought it could be a Common Nightingale ("Southern Nightingale in Danish) as, just a few minutes before, I had been listening to a Thrush Nightingale banging out its song as I cycled through Kongelunden. The Sydvestpynten bird sounded different - much softer and without the harsh sounds of the Thrush Nightingale. I recorded the song - see below. I am not 100 per cent sure it is a Common Nightingale (could it simply be a 'subsong' of Thrush Nightingale?) so I would welcome comments from anyone with good experience of the two.

Also seen was an incredible group of 6 Caspian Terns migrating east along the coast - possibly a site record.

Possible Southern Nightingale, Sydvestpynten from Terry Townshend on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Terry this sounds like a common nightingale (sydlig nattergal) to me. Sounds very much like one I recorded in Berlin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTsl49ZNhE

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

Had time to listen. Consistent with my e-records from Bird ID Guides. I was also down there this morning (only heard though), but went back on the way home from work and had good views (and singing) near the big hall; Also plenty of winchats, 1m red-backed shrike, flycatchers (pied and spotted, redstart, icterine and plenty of goldfinch. All the best Mark (MW)

Terry said...

Thanks guys. I was there early this morning (Weds) but no sign. However, there was a Thrush Nightingale singing nearby! Still haven't seen Red-backed Shrike for the year...

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry

Absolutely no doubt that this is a Nightingale (Sydlig Nattergal, Luscinia megarhynchos). You don't need to make a reservation on your observation in DOFbasen.

What makes me so sure is that the song is faster, more varied and with shorter phrases than Thrush Nightingale and also a little higher in pitch. Also very typical is the crescendo 'hü-hü-hü-hü-hü' with an almost sucking quality.

Best regards,
Tim Andersen

Terry said...

Thanks Tim. I have amended the record in DOFBasen to remove the uncertainty and have, I hope, etched the song on my memory. I really should have been more confident coming from a country where we only have Common Nightingale and Thrush Nightingale is a real rarity!

Terry