Saturday 17 April 2010

Red-necked Grebes

The Danish avifauna is broadly similar to that of the UK with one or two notable exceptions - for example, in Denmark, breeders include Black Woodpecker, Icterine Warbler, Marsh Warbler (very common), Greenish Warbler (now rare) and, at least in the Copenhagen area, Red-necked is the most common Grebe. I have been meaning to try to take some record shots of Red-necked for some time but, as with many things right on our doorstep, there has never been any hurry - "Oh, I can do that any time" is the common thought. Today I stumbled across a confiding pair in a drainage ditch near Klydesøen, Vestamager. It was a bit windy and the light wasn't ideal but I managed to take a few photographs of these stunning birds. At one point they even began to display, albeit half-heartedly.

Tonight I am going to have a second go at seeing a displaying Great Snipe that was discovered yesterday close to Copenhagen. It was found by Stefan Stürup at 2055 last night whilst touring Vestamager to listen for Spotted Crakes! (he is having a good few days having found the Penduline Tit a couple of days ago). Amazingly, it was around 10 metres from the track and Stefan saw and heard it giving its unique display several times until leaving the site at around 2120. He put the news out and, by 2200 I was on site but sadly there was no sign in an hour's vigil. I wondered whether I should return for dawn but decided against as Great Snipe are 'supposed' to display all night so, my thinking went, if it wasn't there at 2200 it had probably moved on. Imagine my frustration when I awoke this morning to a text message saying that it was heard displaying between 0445-0515! Hopefully it will still be there tonight but, with a fresh westerly wind and cloud cover, will it be up to strutting it's stuff?? You can see a taster of the lengths these bizarre birds go to to attract a mate here. Wish me luck!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

Good luck with the Snipe. Also, thanks for the firecrests last Friday, I manged to see both after an hour. Also had *2* male Pendulines showing very well at the "Green Land Sea" today.

Best Regards
Mark (MWK)- The other English birder in CPH :-)

Terry said...

Hi Mark,

Glad you connected with the Firecrests. And well done with 2 Penduline Tits - yours is the first report of 2 on site, I believe.

Heard and saw (just about) the Great Snipe tonight - amazing bird. Hopefully it will stick for a few days.

T

Peter Ransome said...

Wow, great shots of the "Red-necks" Terry.

JRandSue said...

Stunning shots,Terry just Magic.
John.