Wednesday 21 April 2010

Great Snipe - the final cut

And so, with negative news yesterday and no sign this morning, it seems that the Vestamager Great Snipe has probably moved on. However, us birders can't be too upset as it performed pretty well for four evenings and I reckon over 100 birders connected. It was never seen very well - the grass was just a bit too long - but it was seen 'hopping' and moving through the grass. But it wasn't the views that will stay with me - it is the sound it made. The 'song' is truly weird and like nothing I have experienced before... And so, as a tribute, I put together this short video to the backing of The Cure. Hope you like it. I should point out that the footage of the Great Snipe at the end is not the Vestamager bird - I wish - it is taken from a video recorded on the Great Snipe's Norwegian breeding grounds.


Great Snipe, Vestamager, 16-19 April 2010 from Terry Townshend on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry.Perfect tune for the snipe-tour :-) The Cure is one of my favorite bands and their "Close to me" fits just perfect" Nice to meet U out there....
Jan

Terry said...

Thanks Jan.. I thought you played the starring role very well... :-) See you soon.. Terry

James said...

were the other twitchers not annoyed at your Cure? :-)