Thursday 25 March 2010

Firecrest

A dawn start on a beautiful spring day saw me make my first visit to Sydvestpynten for several months (it has been in a state of permafrost for most of the winter!). Birds were on the move with good numbers of migrants overhead - Bramblings, Skylarks, Siskin, Common Redpolls, my first White Wagtails of the year (5), 3 Meadow Pipits (my first for some time) and a trickle of Reed Buntings - and also some good movement on the sea with lots of Eider, Goosander and Goldeneye moving through. Four Chiffchaffs, including 2 singing birds, were my first of the year.

However, the very first bird I saw today proved to be the star. I had just parked my bike and taken out my binoculars from my backpack when I caught a glimpse of a small passerine flitting through a small leafless shrub. I put my binoculars up to me eyes and was very pleased to see a lovely Firecrest - the first time I have seen one on the local patch and a great start! I watched it for about 10 minutes as it fed very low down (often on the ground) and made its way along a small hedgerow, eventually disappearing into the thicket. Spring is definitely here!

At the point itself a 'northern' Long-tailed Tit flew in off the sea in the company of 8 Great Tits and rested briefly before making its way inland..

Photos: Firecrest at Sydvestpynten and a northern Long-tailed Tit fresh in off the sea'



No comments: