Thursday 8 October 2009

Guest Photo

As the days get shorter and darker here in Copenhagen it's great to be reminded of warmer climes.. The photo below was sent to me by Pallab, a talented musician and media expert whose uncle, Colonel Bimal Sarkar, is a bird fanatic and takes bird photos in India. This one is a particulary colourful Yellow-backed Sunbird - a little confusing as it doesn't have a yellow back - and is appropriately entitled "Riot of Colour". The photo was taken in Cooch Behar near the Indian/Bangladeshi border. I am no expert on Asian birds but I guess the reason it is without yellow back is because it's a young bird or in winter plumage. I am sure Asian bird fanatics can enlighten me... Anyway, big thanks to Pallab and his uncle - Colonel Bimal Sarkar - top shot!

1 comment:

pallab said...

Thanks for putting my uncle's photo up. The Colonel reliably informs me that the bird has a yellow patch near the rump,which is not conspicuous.According to Dr Salim Ali and S Dillon Ripley(A pictorial Guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent),the image is of Yellow backed Sunbird(Aethopyga siparaja ).Now hurry up and save the planet at COP 15 T.Thank you.