Friday 1 May 2009

Wood Warblers



























Photos: a newly arrived Wood Warbler; a Wood Warbler doing the 'quiver'.. groovy


An evening at Kongelunden revealed that the local Wood Warblers were back. I counted 5 singing males in a very small area of mixed woodland surrounding a lake. They are one of my favourite birds with their very distinctive song - an accelerating trill - and an amazing quivering action as they sing and call.. a bit like John Travolta strutting his stuff at the local disco. These birds have just arrived from their wintering grounds in Africa and are very vocal, singing almost constantly while I was there. I tried to capture the quiver on camera but unfortunately the photo above simply looks like a typically out of focus shot! Also present was an Egyptian Goose on the flash - a new bird for Denmark for me, bringing my Danish list up to 214.

No comments: