Friday 29 May 2009

A good day

It's not often you get to see two new birds in one day. But today was one of those days. An early morning start at Kongelunden produced the expected Thrush Nightingale, Marsh Warbler and Icterine Warbler with the usual chorus of Reed Warblers chattering all around. Big numbers of Swifts were also passing through (at a rate of around 100+ per hour). Then, at about 0630, a trio of small birds caught my eye as they flew down into a grassy dip near the point. I knew that two of them were Linnets but the third looked smaller. I slowly worked my way towards the dip and soon got onto the birds as they fed on grass seeds. To my delight the third bird was a cracking bright yellow male Serin (217 for Denmark). The birds didn't hang around and almost as soon as I clapped eyes on them, all three flew off high north. I have seen many Serins over the years, mostly in southern Europe, but that was my first in Denmark and adult males are quite scarce here so that was a real bonus. Then, after checking the bushes around the point and seeing nothing but a few Willow Warblers, an Icterine Warbler and another Marsh Warbler, I headed back to my bike for the journey back. As I began to cycle a lone Crane flew over heading east towards Sweden and then I had to make the decision - straight back along the main road or slowly through the forest? I opted for the forest and I am very pleased I did. After about 200 metres I saw three birders all looking intently at the treetops. I stopped and they pointed saying "Pirol". Luckily my Danish was good enough to know that was a good bird - "Pirol" is Danish for Golden Oriole. It was quite vocal, singing regularly and also uttering its harsh Jay-like screech as it moved about high in the oaks. It took me a frustrating 30 minutes to see it and, even then, it was a pretty poor view, partially obscured by the foliage (hence the extremely poor photo below). It was a young bird due to its streaked underparts and greenish colour (unfortunately not the vivid yellow and black of an adult male) but, nevertheless, that was my first Golden Oriole in Denmark, too! 218 and counting....

Photos below: One of the Swifts passing through this morning; Arctic Tern; and a bunch of twigs



No comments: