Wednesday 20 May 2009

A Marsh in the Reeds or a Reed in the Marsh?

After a 4am thunderstorm woke me I got up and set out for a few hours birding before work (don't you just love May!). A reeling Grasshopper Warbler at Vestamager was a nice start and this was soon followed by my first Danish SEDGE WARBLER (216), surprisingly very scarce in the Copenhagen area. A little further on there were 2 Marsh Warblers singing and 2 Thrush Nightingales in the thicket. When I arrived at the point, I was surrounded by a cacophony of Reed Warblers.. really giving it their all this morning...

There wasn't much moving at the point today apart from good numbers of Brent Geese (over 1,000 in an hour and a half) so I took the opportunity to photograph the Reed and Marsh Warblers. These two species look very similar and are notoriously difficult to separate in the field in autumn (especially juveniles). However, in Spring there are several key differences that allow identification. The most obvious difference is the song with Reed performing a rhythmic series of scratchy notes and Marsh displaying an impressive repertoire of other birds calls.. the Marsh Warbler really is a master mimic. Photos below are of a Marsh and a Reed. Cunningly they were both singing from reeds.... But which is which???? Unfortunately you can't hear their song and I haven't given you a lot to go on, so it's tough. However, I am sure there are a number of you out there who will get it right... Vote for your choice using the panel on the right! Answer next week.

Edit: forgot to mention, I saw two Painted Ladies today (that's the butterfly, not a euphemism for the make-up clad women of the night that adorn certain parts of Copenhagen in the early hours...).


No comments: