Sunday 21 February 2010

Scaup

After a pretty grotty day today (very cold and with blustery snow showers), the last hour before dusk was clear with a much reduced breeze. I took my bike but I almost fell off as soon as I got on due to the steering being frozen solid! Thankfully, the steering began to free-up after a few seconds and I cycled north along the promenade up to Copenhagen harbour. The unfrozen channel hosted thousands of Tufted Duck with a few Scaup, Goosander, Smew, Coot and the odd grebe in amongst them. The evening light, although fading, was casting beautiful shadows from the colourful clouds onto the water and, although using low shutter speeds I was able to capture a few nice photos of the Smew and Goldeneye plus a couple of flight shots of small flocks of Scaup. The cold was penetrating and, although it's been good to have a proper Scandinavian winter this year, I am beginning to look forward to the thaw and some warm spring mornings...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Terry - yes thanks now we want the spring and heat. Was over Kalvebod / Sluseholmen yesterday there are many birds die - a sad sight. I move to Melby from 1 April, if you have a way past Tvisville/Melby overdrev, så slå på tråden, hilsen Sanne

Terry said...

Hej Sanne! Tak for commenten.

Melby is a great place for birds, so I am sure I will be visiting soon! Good luck with the move and keep in touch.. Med venlig hilsen, Terry