Thursday 4 February 2010

Death in Christianshavn

No, not the title of the latest Agatha Christie novel, but the fate of a Jackdaw in Copenhagen this lunchtime. I was studying the local gulls at Christianshavn when all of a sudden the gulls went crazy and the local duck flew up in a large mass. I knew there must be a predator about and, on looking up, clapped eyes on a Common Buzzard swooping low over the lake. It came towards me and acrobatically twisted and turned before swooping to the ground. At first I thought it had missed its target but it soon became apparent that it had a Jackdaw in its talons and, after a few seconds of untangling its wings from the mesh of twigs, it took to the air again with its prey. Luckily I had the camera ready (I was going to take some photos of the colour-ringed gulls) and I managed to snap a few action shots. The Buzzard took the Jackdaw into the copse in the middle of the lake and attracted the wrath of the local corvids - a combination of Magpies, Hooded Crows and Jackdaws - as it set about feeding.. Wow. This prolonged winter weather has no doubt weakened many of the resident local birds which may mean a bountiful time for predators.

Can't beat a bit of drama on a Thursday lunchtime...!




1 comment:

Peter Ransome said...

Great action shots Terry! Sorry I missed you on your recent visit to the UK!
Peter