Sunday 24 January 2010

Shore Larks

I cycled down to Sydvestpynten today to try my luck with the two Shore Larks that were reported yesterday. The journey began well with a Rough-legged Buzzard hunting near Ørestad and 6 Waxwings (my first of the winter) along Kanalvej on Vestamager. On reaching Sydvestpynten I walked east along the path to Kofoeds Enge and almost immediately I flushed two larks. They called once and then settled just a few metres away - Shore Lark! I set up my telescope and watched these beautiful birds for around 15-20 minutes as they fed in an area of short vegetation. Despite having fairly bright facial markings these birds have excellent camouflage and, a couple of times when I took my eye off them for a few seconds, it was only their movement that gave them away when I looked back. These birds were in winter plumage, so did not sport the 'horns' of their spring/summer dress and the origin of their alternative name - "Horned Lark". However, they are still very smart birds. And the first time I have seen them in Denmark, too, taking the number of species I have seen since my arrival to 231.

Photos: Shore Larks



No comments: