Saturday 23 January 2010

Deep Freeze

I don't think the temperature has risen above freezing for weeks and, in the last few days, it's been a consistent -2 to -4 with a bitter easterly wind. Today I cycled around the east coast of Amager. The sea remains frozen in places and, off southern Amager, the ice reaches over 100 metres from the shore. There are huge numbers of Fieldfares with smaller numbers of Redwing feeding on the berry-laden bushes (there are still a huge amount of berries left from last autumn's bumper crop) and, offshore, good numbers of winter wildfowl including Goldeneye, Whooper Swans and lots of duck you would normally expect to see on freshwater such as Tufted Duck, Coot, Wigeon and Mallard.

Off the east coast today there was a flock of 8 Smew, including 7 stunning drakes, diving just offshore and a little further along, near the airport, two Hen Harriers (an immature male and an adult female) were quartering the area of rough ground near the DSB train maintenance terminal. I searched the harbour at Dragør but, with the exception of 2 Rock Pipits, a few Black-headed Gulls, 4 Goosander and a Little Grebe, there was very little about.

Two Shorelarks (a potential new Danish bird for me) were seen today at Sydvestpynten so I hope to get out tomorrow to try my luck.. these northern larks are one of my favourite winter birds.

Photos: the iced up harbour at Dragør; and the slushy sea just offshore (which sounds just like pouring a slush puppie as the waves break!)


6 comments:

Gamze Gulez said...

cool indeed... after reading your blog I went to Amager today but was not that lucky as you were (probably it may be because I only had my camera with me...there was someone with telescope, but then the person dissapaered suddenly ). Only saw the regulars, like L.minutus...

Terry said...

Hi Gamze, if you'd like precise directions for the Shore Larks, let me know - I can send you a Google map.. T

Gamze Gulez said...

thanks Terry, it would be nice if you could send the exact location. Hopefully next weekend I can go there.

Terry said...

Hi Gamze,

Very bizarre to meet you today! Here is a link to a map for the Shore Larks. I can't email you directly from here but hopefully the link will work.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115355677854480155123.0004756c0234c1f960259&ll=55.562112,12.568038&spn=0.003513,0.011287&t=h&z=17

Good luck!

Terry

Gamze Gulez said...

hi Terry
Thanks a lot, the map is more than perfect :)

Yes, it was bizarre today. I told you if it was yesterday at the beach I would not surprise that much, but on a Monday at that location... irresistible weather and convenient location seems to create such coincidences...

Terry said...

Good luck with the Larks... I will be in the UK this weekend, so won't be able to join you :-(