Tuesday 23 June 2009

River Warbler

The gorgeous weather tempted me to catch the early train to Hillerød to seek out the River Warbler that had been reported for the last couple of days. I heard what I thought was a snatch of River Warbler song when Libby and I were on Bornholm in May but unfortunately we didn't have time to investigate it properly, so it would be a new bird for me in Denmark. It was a beautiful still morning when I arrived at the forest area and immediately I could hear the bird, even though I was probably about half a kilometre away at that point. It was singing constantly (it sounds like a cicada) and luckily, when I arrived at the right place, it was singing from a birch tree right beside the path. It showed pretty well for a species known to be secretive and elusive and sang almost constantly for the hour and a half I was there. Amazingly, I didn't see another birder - bliss!

The habitat in the surrounding area was very impressive - lots of wet, boggy birch forest with open meadows. It looked great for Corncrake, too, but despite my efforts I couldn't hear one. A bit further along, there were two pairs of Red-backed Shrikes obviously feeding young in the nest. They were hunting from the tops of bushes, mostly catching wasps. It is great to see these birds - once common across England - doing well in open heath areas, not dissimilar habitat to the Brecks.

Photos below: River Warbler; adult male Red-backed Shrike



2 comments:

Peter Ransome said...

Well done on seeing the River Warbler Terry & great shots of the River Warbler (& Shrike), brings back memories of the Boughton Fen bird in Norfolk 20 years ago in July 1989, time we had another!

Terry said...

Thanks Peter. I don't think you'll have any problem finding it if one turns up - they are loud and sing almost constantly, even during the day, when they first find a territory. Probably like Grasshopper Warblers and go almost silent once paired up, though.