Saturday 6 June 2009

A lonely woody

An early start to look for GREENISH WARBLER - a rare breeder and passage migrant - proved fruitless (my 'patch' at Kongelunden is a traditional spot for Spring migrants to turn up in early June). Also no sign of any FIRECRESTs but, after a couple of hours, I was enchanted by this Wood Warbler, singing low down in a clump of beech trees. He was singing his heart out and, as I sat and watched for over an hour, there was no female or indeed no other Wood Warblers at all in the vicinity. I felt for him. If only I could tell him that about 500 metres to the south, across the road, there are lots of his friends...

It was amazing how close birds came to me as I was sitting still.. first a Hawfinch came down to drink just a few feet from me, then a Honey Buzzard flew down from the canopy and briefly alighted on the forest floor before clocking me and scarpering, and then a Jay poked around just a couple of metres away and succeeded in finding an acorn (maybe one he had stashed away in the winter?).

Photos: a lonely Wood Warbler


No comments: