Wednesday 18 November 2009

Jackdaws over Nyhavn

In the winter, every afternoon about half an hour before dusk, a flock of Jackdaws passes my flat window on their way to their roost site on Amager. These birds obviously range quite widely during the day to feed and then, miraculously, they all gather in one large group for the journey 'home'. Numbers are difficult to estimate but I reckon there are several hundred, maybe over a thousand. Most days they pass my window at about head height. I have been thinking for some time to try to photograph them in an arty way as Nyhavn, with its colourful facades, makes an unusual backdrop.

These are my first attempts - experimenting with a very slow shutter speed of about a tenth of a second. I will try a faster shutter speed in the next few days to see what looks best..

Photo: Jackdaws over Nyhavn

No comments: