Tuesday 29 September 2009

YBW!

The hunt for a Yellow-browed Warbler did not take long. Today I saw my first in Denmark but it wasn't me who found it - thanks go to Thomas Hellesen, one of Copenhagen's top birders. He found the YBW at lunchtime at Stubben (a piece of waste ground near the industrial north harbour of Copenhagen). It's a good site (the place where I found a Red-breasted Flycatcher last year) and is good for watching migration, too, as it juts out into the strait between Denmark and Sweden. Unfortunately in two hours on site I only had two brief glimpses of the bird, in total about 5 seconds long. Not the best views I have ever had but enough to clinch the identification and put it on my Danish 'list' as species number 228. Fortunately Thomas managed a couple of photos of the bird and you can see them here.

No comments: