Tuesday 7 July 2009

Wet wet wet

An evening visit to Klydesøen was rewarding with single Caspian Tern and Broad-billed Sandpiper plus 4 Black-tailed Godwits, 40+ Wood Sandpipers, a Temminck's Stint, a handful of Spotted Redshank and a Bittern. There was also an unidentified duck sp (almost certainly exotic). It was slightly smaller than the Mallards with which it was associating, fed by up-ending, had yellow sides to the bill, pale clean flanks and turtle dove-like patterning on the upper mantle. Unfortunately, just when I was thinking what a great evening it had been, I was absolutely drenched by a thunderstorm that sneaked up on me while I was looking at the birds.. And of course, as it has been so hot and sunny, I didn't have any waterproofs with me... but at least the shorts meant I dried off quickly!

EDIT: the mystery duck is almost certainly a SPECKLED TEAL which hails from South America. A photo of one, looking very similar to last night's bird, can be found here.

1 comment:

Peter Ransome said...

Hope you kept the optics dry. I love the shot of the Seebohm's Wheatear (taken in Morocco I presume near the Tagdilt track? any chance you can e-mail me a copy?
Birding has been non-existant here for the past 2 months but been happy to see Slow Worms reecently!
Cheers,
Peter