Friday 27 March 2009

Vis-mig

"Vis-mig", or visible migration to give it its full title, is an aspect of birding that I have always enjoyed, primarily because of growing up on an east coast location in the UK with plenty of birds moving through in spring and autumn. The good thing about vis-mig is that you can do it from almost anywhere with a view of the sky - a headland, a hill or even an office with a window. Now, I don't want you to get the impression that I spend a lot of time looking out of the window when I am working (this is in case my boss is reading!) but today I glanced out of my flat window in central Copenhagen and saw three groups of Cranes (flocks of 22, 8 and 18 respectively) and 3 Common Buzzards plus my first White Wagtail of the year. All in the space of 10 minutes. Not bad for a central city location and some compensation for being stuck to my desk most of this week.....

No comments: