Friday 2 January 2009

Mystery Bird Competition














2009 got off to a good start when I connected with the American Black Scoter that has been present on the north coast of Sjaelland for a few days. It is hanging about with a few Common Scoter and seems to be taking quite a bit of interest in one of the 'Common' females, even displaying at one point today... You can see a photo (not mine unfortunately) by clicking here. It was a bitterly cold night last night (apparently about -8 when I arrived at first light) with a cold northerly breeze coming in off the sea. Six layers (including two 'down' jackets) and a pair of gloves approved for -30 degrees were enough to keep me snug.

After enjoying the scoter flock, I had a good look around the pine forest and dunes nearby. Plenty of Coal Tits, Goldcrests, a pair of Marsh Tits and a Treecreeper was my reward.

I also saw the bird in the photo above and thought I'd test you birders (and budding birders) by asking you for your opinion. Simply make your vote on the panel to the right of the screen and all will be revealed next week... (click the photo for a larger version).

Good luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it a Dodo?

Anonymous said...

Is it Big Bird off Sesame Street?

Terry said...

Happy New Year to the Shearing-Clarkes!

Don't give up the day jobs! :-)