Monday 5 March 2007

Photos

Hello, now back in Copers for good.. And just about exhausted after a weekend of unpacking our 50+ boxes of belongings... how we ever fitted all that stuff into our small London flat, I haven't quite worked out..

Anyway, my arrival seems to have coincided with Denmark's worst rioting in several decades... a complete coincidence I can assure you.. The trouble began after an anti-terror squad raided the Ungdomshuset building, which had been occupied by left-wing activists since the 1980s. The government sold the building to a Christian group in 2000, which then obtained a court order to have the squatters evicted. But the activists vowed not to leave, saying the council had no right to sell the building while it was still in use. They feared the Ungdomshuset, or Youth House, which had become an international cause celebre, would be knocked down if they were turned out. And so it turned out on Monday morning, when the demolition began.. There have been a number of incidents over the past few years as tensions between the squatters and the police have escalated. I haven't yet visited the area but the pictures on Danish TV of burning police vans and masked youths hurling bricks, and whatever else they can get their hands on, at the police reminds me of watching the news from N Ireland in the 80s as I was growing up... albeit on a smaller scale.

Still, with over 600 arrests over the past 3 days, the disturbances are not insignificant...

On a lighter note, I have at last taken a few photos of the view from our flat in Nyhavn. I will attempt to post them after writing this.. but be patient - it's my first attempt at such digital wizardry..

No comments: